It happens to the best of us. You’re in your bedroom, about to go to bed for the night. You reach for your doorknob, only to realize that you left your key on the other side of the door.
Now you’re stuck in your room, with no way to get out. But don’t worry – there are a few ways to unlock a bedroom door without a key. One way is to use a credit card.
Insert the credit card into the space between the door and the frame, right above the doorknob. Then, bend the card so that it’s flush against the knob and apply pressure. The card should slide under the latch and unlock the door.
Another way is to use a bobby pin or paperclip. Straighten out the bobby pin or paperclip and insert it into the hole in the doorknob (this is calledthe keyway).
- Open the door handle – If the door is locked from the inside, there will be a small hole in the center of the doorknob
- Insert a small flathead screwdriver or paperclip into this hole and push until you feel or hear the locking mechanism click
- Look for a keyhole on the outside of the door – If your door has a keyhole on the outside, insert a thin piece of metal (like a bobby pin) into it and feel around for the locking mechanism
- Once you find it, apply pressure until you hear it click
- Use a credit card to unlock the door – If there is no keyhole, look for a seam between the door and frame
- Slip your credit card into this seam and apply pressure to both sides of the card until you feel or hear clicking
- This method may damage your credit card, so only use it as a last resort!