Laminate cabinets are a popular choice for many homeowners because they are durable and easy to care for. However, laminate cabinets can also be difficult to refinish because the surface is not as smooth as wood. If you are considering refinishing your laminate cabinets, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
First, you will need to sand the surface of the cabinets to rough up the finish so that the paint will adhere better. Second, use a primer designed for laminate surfaces before painting. Finally, don’t forget to seal the painted cabinets with a clear coat to protect them from wear and tear.
- Remove the doors and drawers from the cabinets
- Use a screwdriver to remove any hardware, such as handles or knobs
- Clean the surfaces of the doors and cabinets with a degreaser or all-purpose cleaner
- Wipe them down with a damp cloth to remove any grime or dirt
- Sand the surfaces of the doors and cabinets with fine-grit sandpaper until they are smooth
- Wipe away any dust with a damp cloth
- 4 Apply a primer to the doors and cabinets, using a paintbrush or roller designed for use on laminate surfaces
- Allow the primer to dry completely before proceeding to the next step
- 5 Paint the doors and cabinets with an acrylic latex paint in your desired color, using a paintbrush or roller designed for use on laminate surfaces
- Allow the paint to dry completely between coats if you are applying more than one coat